Skip to main content

New Year... Same Old Me


New Year Morning 2019
Well,  I can officially say this is my first post of 2019 and also for a little while too, I hope it is the first of many more regular posts again.

The truth is, I lost my blogging mojo and fell into a bit of a social media wormhole constantly comparing myself to others, seeing them announce their plans and features and wondering if I was really good enough.

I have been questioning whether people really are interested in what I have to say as she types from her bed (I have been told that all the best writers do this from a fellow writer!) with her two kids being bribed with Milky Ways and Toy Story 2 for the umpteenth time.

I have been blogging for few years now, and have had some amazing opportunities, I have been nominated for two awards, but alas my shelf is still waiting for the award I win and get to bring home. As much as it is an honour to be nominated and to be a finalist it makes me wonder, is it worth it all? Am I worth it all?

I have so many half started blog posts, so many ideas but I lost my confidence and as a result felt like I lost my purpose.

Blogging has also been my therapy but as it grew so did my expectations and I felt as though I could really make something from this, then it got murky. I spent so much of my time scrolling and comparing myself constantly to everyone and worrying what they were doing. What Collab’s they had secured, #ads that they did, awards they won but why when it was making me feel so bad, I couldn't help myself.

I distanced myself from social media, and the blog. I kept putting it of hoping some divine intervention would suddenly strike me to get back on the horse again.
Personally I have been struggling physically and mentally, it was reminiscent of my dark post-natal depression days but actually I believe I may be suffering from PMDD (Premenstrual dysphoric disorder) and am currently tracking my symptoms for an official diagnosis.

I lost who I was, and why I started this. I started my blog to be honest, to help those going through what we did and for them to find some sort of relief, comfort or just some relatability to what parenting a child with CHD, that has been in NICU is really like. It is a place where I am not afraid to talk about the darker side of parenting knowing if I felt it than others may do too.

This time of year can be dangerous with the motivational posts announcing ‘amazing projects lined up for 2019’, pregnancy announcements and every quote under the sun to trick yourself into thinking that you will be thinner, better and happier in 2019.

Each New Year I convince myself that this will be different, but as I look at my past positivity journals, running books (and trainers) and all my good intentions collecting dust shoved down the side of my bed I wonder why do we need all the pressure to change all of ourselves just because it is the New Year? Instead should we not all just take some time to recognise and believe in our own self-worth?

I feel that perhaps I am not in the place I wanted to be going into 2019, and yes there were some amazing ups, but also a lot of downs to 2018.

It is all too easy to look at the superficial snapshots of others lives on social media, especially during the festive season and feel inferior. Days out, presents and exciting New Year plans dominate my feed and overwhelm how inferior I feel as a mother, partner and friend.

The pressure then feels quite heavy that I must change every single part of me to achieve what I imagine in my head is the perfect business, family and blogging lifestyle but is it even real? Is it really as bad as I have built it all up in my head? Actually I am raising two children ,juggling a part time job, starting a charity and managing my blog (the housework still remains pretty neglected) and at times its chaos but each day I get up and do it all over again each and every day.

I worry what people think way too much,  that people will lose interest if I don’t update Instagram, or share on Facebook but when you choose to share your entire life, especially when you bare your soul, it is easy to take it to heart and far to personally.

The truth is that it took a very kind friend to snap me out of same old demons haunting me, and for Elijah to give me some perspective during our New Years Eve Lego party. I asked him what he wanted to achieve in 2019 and he replied he wants to go for ice cream and get a hot water bottle. Simple, achievable and most of all it is what makes him happy.

I thought about what I want to achieve and of course, I want to be more financially stable, defeat my washing pile, learn to drive, to be published more, become a recognised authority on talking about NICU and kick start the fundraising off for The NICU Parent Partnership, but something clouds all of that.

Someone (a very wise someone) told me recently after I explained how I had been feeling that ‘I am just one mum and being a mum is no1 priority’, and she is so right. I do everything for them, and if I have to adjust the balance of blogging and my other commitments to be present, happy and functional mum that that is what I need to do. There is always other times to blog, to update social media and to make great plans but there is only a limited amount of time for me to be a good, present and happy mum and that’s what I need to focus on.

This year as much as I will try my very best to set out to achieve my blog/ charity goals, my main one is to continue to be true to myself. I might not win any awards, I may have a wobble, or two (or likely 300) but I will continue to strive to be honest to help others and carry on blogging about the ups and downs of raising a child with CHD and struggling with maternal mental health issues as a result.

I will get back to blogging about what I want to write about and not worry about whether it is good enough, because I am, for those reading this, you are too.

It is a New Year and yes it is good to inject some mindfulness and good intentions into our lives (she says looking at the half downloaded mindfulness app on her phone from last night) but it doesn’t mean we have to change everything about who we are and what we do. It is about healthily reflecting on the future and living in the present.

So, Happy New Year and to being the same old me in 2019 and learning to accept that that in fact is good enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb