Skip to main content

New Year, New Name, New Baby and a New Column!

It's been a while folks (back to that later) but I thought today whilst waiting for it to snow again it is the perfect time to have a New Year update.

I have never really brought into the whole, New Year, New Me mentality. But, this year I wanted to start the year off in a healthy and positive mind set. I put this down to me getting older or perhaps not wanting to slip back into the dark realms of depression, anxiety that I know so well. I was sent a Reflection book, it is a three year journal where you write a sentence a day something about your day to reflect on (does what it says on the tin really) so I have been dutifully writing each day and it has been helping much to my scepticism. It asked for my three goals for the year. I never have really set goals but this year it was all about embracing the positivity so I thought let's give it a bash.


1. Write more.

My first goal and one I am most passionate about. I aim to get very serious this year and to get published more. As a 90s kid growing up watching Sex In The City I wanted to be Carrie Bradshaw. My dream started becoming a reality when I have been given an amazing opportunity by the brilliant Salisbury Parenting Magazine and I am now their new columnist! I have always enjoyed writing, and to now see my name in print in an actual magazine really has made my year already. I have a very exciting blog series that will be launched on Mummy and Little Me very soon, and will continue to use my writing to discuss the issues that really matter, NICU, CHD and parent topics and getting them heard. To do this, I really do need to get my sorry self more organised and dedicate more time to getting serious!

You can view my column by clicking here!

This leads on to my second goal.

2. Give Birth!

As some of you eager eyed readers may have seen I have been a bit quiet of late. Blogging has unfortunately taken a back seat and now I can reveal it was for a very good reason. With the New Year also comes..... A NEW BABY (nicknamed Voldemort due to their flat nose on an early scan)!

Baby C NO 2! AKA Voldemort!
Elijah is going to be a big brother in July of this year! All is well so far and we are 15 weeks pregnant! I have been suffering unlike I did with Elijah so I am crossing my fingers that my 'blooming' stage will appear shortly. So far I have the throwing up, size of a whale already, bad back and tired stage! So I will be shortly adding another string to my blogging bow, maternity and pregnancy blogs! Where I aim to be as honest as I can and give you a real insight to a high risk pregnancy and what that entails. As well as my planned birth plan which I hope may give me some closure on the complications we had with Elijah.


Summer Baby

This also prompted another big change and that's my name. I have chosen to take Greg's name so when the baby comes we all have the same name. Very old fashioned and some what outdated idea but one that means a lot to me. So, within the first two weeks of 2017, there have been many new changes to welcome the New Year in with. (Which I didn't see and I was asleep by 11).

My third and final goal.

3. Be Happy.

Seems an obvious one, a straightforward one but the one I find the hardest. I think those who have also suffered from depression, anxiety or a mental illness would understand how actually it is a lot harder to stay happy and positive and win the war against the inner demons. It is so much easier just to give it to them and let them take over. Being pregnant and very hormonal my mental health is very important at the moment and if I can I do not want to go back on medication. So it is my main focus to stay happy, healthy and positive!

Taking inspiration from the happiest person I know!

 
So, now we have seen the New Year in (or not), we have a New Name, New baby and a New column!

Happy 2017 folks!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb