Skip to main content

Dear CHD...


The strongest person I know and my CHD hero.

Dear CHD,
Four years ago I had never heard of you.
I didn't know what you stood for.
I didn't know what you could take away.
I was naive to not realise the impact of you on my family's lives.
You changed my life that day as I watched as you took residence in my newborn son and went to battle with him.
I watched from the sidelines as your effects ripped through his tiny body and I felt every breath he struggled to take, heard every alarm you caused to sound, you were winning.
You were killing my baby.
He was loosing the battle but there was something you didn't count on, that he fought back.
He was so little, but he was more powerful than you.
He got stronger, he began to feed, he tolerated you and eventually he became strong.
We took you home with us, it wasn't just our newborn baby we welcomed home, it was you too and guess what, you were never invited.
You robbed us of a normal life.
You caused fear in me like I have never felt before.
You gave is an uncertain future, one whether I didn't know if because of you, my son would live or die at your hands.
You made me mourn my healthy baby, the one I dreamed of for nine months.
You made me believe this was my fault, I did something wrong to cause you to choose him.
I watched him sleep, I agonised you would take him in the night when I wasn't looking.
You weren't content with just living in my son though were you?
You had to make sure your effects were known, you had to show us what you could do.
It wasn't enough you robbed us of the first precious hours, days, weeks with our new baby, you wanted more.
You weren't done but you never will be will you?
You were always at the back of our minds, the cough he caught, when he looked abit pale, was extra tired or off his food.
You made a six month old baby endure a life threatening and brutal surgery.
I signed the consent forms not knowing if the open heart surgery would kill my baby.
Because of you we had to learn to care for our son again, to help him recover, to hold and pick him up differently.
But, things changed that day he came out of surgery.
You were still there, you would always be that wouldn't change but you seemed smaller, he was winning.
The appointments became less frequent, we began to even believe that we were somewhat 'normal' but you would always make yourself known at some point.
You never let us forget you for long.
Doctors, nursery, dentist, hospital, school, sports clubs, baby classes you were the big pink elephant in the room, one we had to acknowledge every time.
You made things difficult.
You are always there, like when you leave the TV on for background noise.
I've seen you take lives of those we know, ones that have barely begun.
I've seen you rob parents of their children.
I could never put into words how much I despise you and what you are.
Why you snake your way through my son, why you course through his veins.
I see your mark on my son's chest every, single day and I remember why I carry on.
I will always fight you.
I will do whatever I can for my son to have a normal life, you will not take his dreams.
You will never stop him doing what he loves, I will make sure of it.
You've taken so much from us, from him and I'm under no illusion you will take more.
But there is something that comes with you.
Something that you don't count on and that is your weakness.
When you make a heart baby, you make a heart mother.
She is your worst enemy.
She will follow you each and every step of the way.
She will educate herself, she will learn all about you and how to beat you.
She talks to the Doctors in their language, she knows what care she wants for her child.
She will do anything to protect her child against you.
Somethings she can't control, and some things are out of her hands.
But, she will always be there, just as you are.
She is right behind you and she will not let you win.
I hate you for what you did to my child, but I also thank you for making me the mother I am today.
You are strong, we are stronger.
I won't give up, even when it seems there is no hope, I will keep flighting you until the end.
You will not win.
He will go on to be great and you will be an after thought.
A side note.
A mother's love will stop at no bounds, it carries a fierceness you didn't know was inside you and it will do anything to make sure you don't win and take her child.
You will be part of our lives forever, I can't change that but what I can do is change how much control you have over us.
People will not look at my son and see you.
They will see him and how much strength he has.
I will talk about you, tell others about you, share our story about you in hope that we will change how much you can do to a family.
I will make you smaller and smaller.
Then one day we won't need to know your name, or what you stand for, what signs to look for, because you won't exist.
From your worst nightmare, a heart mum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb