Skip to main content

Day One - Diagnosis


Disbelieving the diagnosis.
Every day for 28 days I will be taking part in the  #chdphotochallenge over on my Instagram but I will also be blogging everyday too.

Today, is day one and the theme is Diagnosis.

I can remember vividly when we recieved Elijah's diagnosis of CHD and Tetralogy of Fallot. It is a day I don't look back on fondly.

We were visited bedside by the consultant on the maternity ward.

We were told via diagrams that Elijah's heart wasn't working correctly.

There were numerous structural abnormalities which were causing his cynatic episodes. In layman's terms his heart leaked back de oxygenated blood, there was a hole that would need to be repaired and thickening of the heart muscle too.

The terms overwhelmed me, I didn't know what they really meant for my baby who was fighting for his life.

Receiving the diagnosis was the day our lives changed forever. We were no longer new parents but heart parents of a CHD baby.

Open heart surgery was needed before Elijah was a year or he would die.

I looked over to Greg to see he was feeling exactly the same as me.

Numb.

Our world was crashing in around us. The life we imagined as a family of three was suddenly gone from under our feet.

We didn't even know what the future may hold.

The Doctor left and his words were ringing in my ears, the leaflets felt as though they were burning my hands. 

I read them again and again, I Googled everything I could and quickly went into denial.

I believed he got it wrong.

He had made a mistake any minute now he would come back and say he had gotten it wrong and apologise.

I didn't even know how we would tell family and friends as I couldn't find the words.

He looked so well, bursting out of his incubator.

The diagnosis of CHD was just the beginning, there was so much to come and looking back now it was a blur.

We can now define our time before and after diagnosis.

We recieved our diagnosis nearly 4 years ago now but it is still hard thinking back about that day. 

I now know so much when at the time I hadn't even heard of CHD or TOF.

Receiving the diagnosis in writing was difficult, having it in black and white made it suddenly seem so so real.

Telling family and friends was hard, I believe Greg did most of that as I couldn't find the words, or face anyone.

We were lucky to have some amazing family and friends around us and still are.

It seems only fitting now to share that alongside a fellow heart warrior Elijah's godmother will be raising money for Tiny Tickers by facing their fears jumping out of a plane. This charity does an amazing job helping  and providing support for parents after they have recieved a diagnosis of CHD.

Please find the link below: 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb