Skip to main content

Fran and Esme's Story

When I first started the medical files, I really hoped it would help others going through the same thing. That by reading others stories it would make them feel supported, comforted and most of all let them know that they are not alone. All of the stories so far have touched me, but this one slightly more so, as it is very much closer to home. I met the lovely Fran via my partner Greg and I learnt a few months ago she was pregnant, then before I knew it she had her baby girl early.

Not just a few days early, or a week early but at 24+1 weeks. She was in NICU, the very same NICU my baby boy was in two years ago. I checked in with her when I could, and followed her updates closely, and have her to thank for inspiring me to make a little project into fruition after she received it, and loved it! Her beautiful little girl is now 2 months old and nearly ready to come home, where she belongs! This is Fran's story of Esme's  early arrival, in her very honest words.

From the second I laid down in that dark ultrasound room, and saw her tiny heart beating away, my life changed. The overwhelming love hit me all at once, and after that I couldn't wait to see her at the 20 week scan. I was very nervous second time round, but was very happy to know that all of her organs were normal, that heart was beating away still.

The weeks went by of me panicking every time I hadn't felt her move for a few hours. I was so exhausted- but aren't all pregnant women?? Then 24+1 weeks... Tiny bleed, up to hospital to check it out. I knew something was up, but sitting in that waiting room for 6 hours, I never expected what would happen at 9pm... She checked her heartbeat.. All fine. Then with horror in her eyes she told me that I was 2cm dilated... They started preparing for delivery.

The Doctor came in and did another scan to check she was head down- which she was.. I had a Cannula shoved in, and a nasty steroid injection. It was 100 miles an hour, and all I could see was mums worried face. The baby doctors then came over to speak to us and the devastation they left it still ringing in my ears now. If she hadn't been breathing, they would have let her die. No mother wants to hear that. Especially after you've planned your future, put all of your love into her, and she's given you a reason to get out of bed in the morning...

Luckily she heard, and decided to stay in my tummy and grow for another 2 weeks..
When that day came, I couldn't cope anymore. I knew my body couldn't carry her any longer. I thought I was losing her, I didn't feel right. At 16:30, the midwives knew something was up. I was 4cm, and my waters had gone. Again the worried look on the doctors face... She did a scan, and her heart was still beating away, and she still had some fluid left to cushion her. Another Cannula... Then over to delivery suite.

Never have I seen a more negative person hook me up to the magnesium drip (for Esme's brain), after all it was me in labour and I was positive, holding in the pain of the contractions. The midwife was useless, negative, and I did not want her delivering my baby. The doctors came back 10 minutes later with panic in their eyes. He sat on my bed and explained that I had a life threatening infection Chorioamnionitis. If my labour didn't hurry up, I would have to have a C section- a very dangerous operation at 26 weeks. So both ways our lives were in danger. Mum told me not to panic, she kept me breathing through those contractions. I had 2 lots of antibiotics put into my cannulas, as well as paracetamol (that was all the pain relief I had 💪).

At 20:00 things changed, the last of my waters went, and I knew she was coming. The pain was excruciating but it didn't matter. Hearing she was born in her fully intact sac gave me hope, hearing she was a girl also gave me hope. But it felt like those doctors were working on her for hours. I couldn't look. One of them came over and said I could see her. They brought her too me, but I was so scared to look in case she was scary. She wasn't... She was perfect in every way with her little pink hat on. I will never forget that day. The best and worst day of my life.

Since then we have had so many ups and downs, each day has been a blessing. I've seen her change so much over the last 9 weeks and 2 days, and I feel honoured to have seen her grow. We have an unbreakable bond now, and as each day passes we are one step closer to being together again. And I truly cannot wait... The love I feel for her in endless, unconditional and unexplainable ❤

Fran would like to thank Bliss for all of their help and support, you can do your bit and help contune this amazing charity's work by buying a NICU Mum bracelet! 10% of each one will go there! click here to order!

Similar NICU MUM Posts in the medical files series;

Carly's Story

Lisa and Oscar's Story

Rachel's Story

Heart Warrior Will's Story

Elijah's admission to NICU


Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb