Skip to main content

Oh Chicken Pox is that it?


We had a good run, a brief spell in our house where no one was ill. It was brilliant, it was magical, I don’t think I had brought Calpol in nearly two months. I am 90% sure their stocks may have dropped in this time. But alas, our luck was out and once again the toddler germs have invaded. Does everyone agree as soon as you become a parent you become so ill? I have never been so ill in my life! So often! Always at really inappropriate times, we all came down with the flu the week of my birthday. Greg became ill when he was on a weekend away, and I was struck down in London this week when I went to the Aden and Anais Disney launch.
When you feel poorly and fall asleep sitting up
Considering Elijah had a congenital heart defect and was awaiting surgery (click here to read the longest wait for surgery), he was rarely ill. Other than the odd cold and a bout of bronchiolitis he was a very healthy. When you have a baby who has been in NICU (click here to read Elijah's admission to NICU) and who has had surgery you tend to slightly, okay majorly over react at every little thing. Every time he had the tiniest bit of snot, he was thrown into the pram and taken to the doctors. I could never just go to the health visitors and sometimes the GP’s didn’t want to be responsible for a diagnosis so we always got sent to the hospital even if it was just a cold. I am glad they did this, but we are now experts in hospital etiquette. I can also pack an overnight bag in 5 minutes flat.
After surgery, this continued as there are so many dangers such as infections etc. One raised temperature, one sneeze I got him in to see someone within an hour. A really kind GP could see my panic induced dishevelled look as I verbally regurgitated at high speed all of Elijah’s symptoms that I was a very nervous mother. She looked at his file and it became slightly clearer to her. She sat me down and said I would get my confidence back. I would be okay, as time goes on I will get my confidence back in that gut sure mothering instinct you have when your child is ill.
Elijah's friends making him feel better
It was taken away from me when Elijah had his surgery as I couldn’t do anything to help. I couldn’t just give him some Nurofen to make him better. Some Snufflebabe was not going to fix it. When the surgery did ‘fix’ him they threw some many cautions that we had to watch for, so many numbers to call if we saw anything unusual I was overwhelmed. I remember Greg freaking out one day that Elijah’s chest didn’t look right so we took photos and sent them to the ward!
When we went to the care plan at Elijah’s nursery they mentioned that as kids spread germs between themselves that Elijah will pick up things and they advise you to stock up on Calpol. I FREAKED OUT. I asked them to warn us so I could make the decision whether to send him or not. Yep, I am that mum but hay I paid my dues I earned that right. That GP, was right as time went on my confidence came back, I began to deal with it when Elijah became ill. I didn’t take him to the doctor’s every time he was slightly under the weather.
Elijah has been at nursery and experiencing the world of soft play, toddler classes etc. for quite some time. The worst we have had in the house is probably flu, oh and when he ate a dodgy yogurt. That was not pretty and resulted me in catching sick in my hands at 3am. There is a board outside the nursery doors to say if there is anything serious going around and so far we have avoided them! Even the head lice which I am pretty chuffed as if they come in our house I don’t think they are leaving. I no longer worry if things do go around, or if stuff goes on the board as at the end of the day he will have to get these things eventually if not he won’t build an immunity. That and I have seen him willingly eat dirt. (Click here to read toddlers are like living with wild animals).
Hospital cuddles post surgery
Whereas once I would dread and worry Elijah getting ill as I didn’t know the effect it would have on him. Now it’s just one of those tiresome parenting things, like Mr Tumble repeats and sleepless nights. I strangely come into my own when Elijah is ill, like a crazy mother hen. Seriously crazy, I have every type of toddler medicine you can think of. I have an endless supply of vapour rub, something which I swear solves everything. I guess it’s when Elijah does get ill and that I am not excessively worrying that I should actually be grateful. That I know he is healthy, he is strong and he can fight this off. No matter how many sleepless nights we may have, how he doesn’t want to stop holding my hand and that he still needs me.
I used to resent people when they moaned about the smallest of things like a rash, or a cough. When I had to fear if this chest infection could be fatal to my baby. That my baby’s heart may not be able to keep him strong enough to fight of a cold. Now, since the surgery I have a strange kind of resilience to it. Like when he falls over and bumps his head (this happens a lot) I am like hell no kid you have had heart surgery. Cold? Iffy tummy? Suck it up kid you’ve been opened up and operated on. I am also very sympathetic and will smoosh him rotten but I have to admit I feel like I am slightly numb to it all now. Watching your child come up from theatre with a chest drain does that to you. I think these are the conflicting emotions of being a heart mama.
Is that a spot? Is it a bite? AHHHH!
This week we are playing the is it or isn’t it chicken pots game. There have been a few cases go around at nursery and Elijah has been quite poorly. Probably the worse he has been in a while. We (and poor Nana) have had sleepless nights since Tuesday. So far no spots, until yesterday when the tiniest of little spots appeared. Hmm have they always been there? Why are they on the bottom of his feet? I counted them and made a tally! Waking up today (at the illegal time of 5am) he has not developed anymore. So once again we are playing the is it or isn’t it card? Fun times but it does mean we are watching an endless supply of Disney’s and eating sweets. Mother hen is in full force once again, but I keep thinking chicken pots? Is that it? Come on, we are a heart warrior family, chicken pots? You stand no chance, now where is my magnifying glass and spot tally?!
 
Similar NICU MUM Posts;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb