Skip to main content

Dear Kelly Brook...

Am I professional?




Dear Kelly Brook,

I would like to drop a quick note to you about those comments that you made about mothers being unprofessional compared to their childless colleagues if they have childcare issues.


I'll share the day I had yesterday with you. I am a freelance writer having left my office job last year. Sounds like a walk in the park working from home around two small kids?

It's not.


I know how in demand writing gigs are and I have to go up against a number of writers with no children and thus more managable time.


I had my 11 month old baby yet I juggled 3 deadlines and even chose to take on some urgent quick turn around work that afternoon too, three loads of washing and then worked up until the kids bedtime. 


I know I have to put in more effort, work harder and be more reliable all because I am a mother. I still took time out to play, put him down for a nap and dropped my other son off at nursery. I presume this makes me unprofessional working with my childcare issue?!


I still had everything submitted on time and done well. Unprofessional or not I made it work what gives you the right to say what is and isn't professional?

I know mums who have been up all night yet leave the house at 5am to go into work. I know mums who work all through the night and stay up for near on 3 days straight looking after the children with no help. 


You see most of us are only working to pay the childcare bill we only have to pay beacuse we are told to go back to work after having a baby. It takes military presecion just to get to the office in the first place. 


As a mother you could be up all night with a fussy baby or an ill toddler yet we will still 99% make it in and complete our shift.

When I was working in the office I felt the seismatic shift in attitudes towards me after I had a baby. I worked over time, through my lunch and took out of hours work as I felt I had to prove myself once again because I was a mother.


I used to leave the house 2 hours before a shift walk 2 miles to nursery then go in and do a 9 hour shift on little to no sleep.

As women in the workplace we already go into the office with a loaded weapon because we have a vagina with potential employers wondering when we are going to shoot babies out compared to our male colleagues.


But guess what men become parents too. They take time off too and have to leave early because of a urgent pick up request are they too unprofessional? Me and my partner balance our working time with our children it isn't just down to me as the mother we are a team.


As mothers we know we are seen to get the best deal with many choosing to work flexiable hours or agreed hours around childcare. Holidays can tend to favour those with children such as Christmas leaving our childless colleagues picking up the slack.


You see I've been on both sides of the equation pre and post children. I know how frustrating it can be from both sides.

Would you being say this about a colleague taking time off as their dog was sick? Or needing to look after an elderly relative I wonder? Why is it only mothers you've chosen to "out".


Every working parent tends to have childcare worked our to an inch of it's life but there are times where there is an emergency. Children get ill. Partners cannot get off work so yes, we may need to leave early. I am sorry you view this an unprofessional should I instead leave my sick child at nursery and wait for social services to call me or call a random stranger off the street so I can remain "professional"?


You see when something like this happens there is then the looks from collegues, the comments and you know when you next go back in once again you are needing to go above and beyond to prove yourself knowing everyone thinks you are a liability just for reproducing and having responsibilities. 


We talk alot about "the sisterhood" women supporting women so we can gain equality especially within the workplace. But it's your comments and attitude that are stopping this. Women should not tear women down because they have children or don't have children. Mothers and non- mothers should not be pitted against each other in the workplace we instead should work together to find a balance. Give and take so everyone gets a fair deal children or not.


Women will never be equal when we choose to destroy one another rather than build up and support one another especially in the workplace. 


We also need to ensure we are including men in the conversation about childcare in the workplace too. 

Why didn't you pick up on dads going to collect their sick children or leaving early to collect them from school? Why just the mothers? The responsibility for a child doesn't automatically fall to the mother. 


I guess I want to thank you for saying what you did as at least we can begin to start a discussion about these issues in the workplace but don't place guilt at the door of mothers and parents who already have to prove themselves because of yourself and others and what you have made us out to be.


From an unprofessional mum of two who occasionally has the odd childcare issue.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb