Skip to main content

The time I let my three-year-old takeover my Instagram.


The week I became an Insta Husband to my son!
I often wondered what Elijah must think I do when he sees me on my phone, or on the laptop when we label it as ‘Mummy is working’.

He has had his fair share of requests from me to pose for my Instagram or blog and I had this idea a while back about him taking over my grid.

I wanted to see things from his point of view via his eyes.

He would choose what he wanted to post and take the photos himself, I would upload and for one-week Elijah would takeover.

Slightly worried I would have no followers left after a week of photos of his SuperZing collection never the less we decided on a week he would takeover.

Beforehand I spoke to Elijah about how I choose to share photos, who can see them, and showing him my grid, he had already come up with a few posts he wanted to do. Including a photo of him on the toilet which was quickly vetoed.

I was really interested to see what was important enough to Elijah for him to share, and what he would glean from this or already knew about how social media worked.

His posts consisted of what was important to him, in his world, it is his dream to become a Firefighter, so he wanted to share a photo of him outside the local station.

He also shared photos of me, his brother and how he feels about me working from home. One of the biggest changes he has had to go through was moving to a new house, so he wanted to talk about that as well as a river nearby which has lots of rubbish in it.

To get a glimpse into what he holds dear was so interesting, as well as him understanding what it means to share something online, where people he does not know can view it.

I began to get more of an understanding about how he viewed me, my work and the rest of his immediate world.

Surprisingly, people really engaged with the idea and many were commenting on the posts addressing Elijah himself!

We spent some time together looking at the comments and I would read out and he would tell me what to write back.

After the week of posts, we sat down and spent some time talking about it and he said he wouldn’t want his own account until he is older. He doesn’t think we should share private photos with people we don’t know.

Recently, I have been becoming more aware of how much I am sharing of the boys. I have been so honest about myself and the boys. When they are old enough and if they turn around and say they are not comfortable with me ‘oversharenting’, then I will stop.

We live in a digital age where kids as young as Elijah can use apps, interactive boards are used in their nursery settings. Elijah can use my phone and choose what he wants to watch on Youtube.
With my blog and social media work, especially working from home it is something that Elijah is becoming more aware of and I am in the view of course he isn’t going to have an account now, but I will be very honest with the dangers and the effect social media can have as he grows up.

Other than feeling I have gained a valuable insight into Elijah’s world from this social experiment I also feel that he is aware of a lot more than I give him credit for.

Elijah’s highlight of the takeover was a firefighter fan page following us and liking his posts.

I would really like to make this a regular feature especially as he gets older and over time of what he views as important changes and how he views his relationships with family.

Now, it’s time for me to take back the reins, I am in slight fear people will want Elijah to come back!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Elijah, on your fourth heart day

Elijah the heart hero never letting anything stop him. Today  is your 4th heart day. It's 4 years since we took you down to Great Ormond Street for open heart surgery. It seems to have crept up on us again. Another whole year has passed but it hasn't changed how I feel about that day. Some have said that oh, by now surely you should have gotten over it after all it's been 4 years. The answer is I don't think I ever will. I have been thinking a lot about that day, where I signed the consent forms for them to take you and operate on you. To either save or take your life. That day was the worst of my life, the unknown certainty of whether you would come back up again. I held you as they put you to sleep. They gave me your dummy as they took you from me and laid you on the operating table as if you weighed nothing. I couldn't even kiss you goodbye in case it was the last time. That's why I won't ever get over it and those who have been in the

The time Fajita night resulted in having a baby in a bath.

The newest Cockerill Do you all remember my ever so optimistic natural birth plan? You can read it here. However, spoiler alert, it didn’t happen. What did happen was something no one was expecting. Wednesday the 5 th July… a mundane sort of day spent cleaning the house and doing the weekly shop. With Greg going back to work the next day I was determined to make sure everything was ready for when this baby arrived! I was three days off my due date and still hadn’t had one single sign this baby was imminently coming. I had been receiving messages from quite a few people asking if baby was here yet. I was getting fed up as everything I had tried to induce labour failed miserably and every morning for the last two weeks I woke up disappointed I wasn’t in labour! I gave up, walking didn’t help, pineapple made me sick and I was beginning to tire of the raspberry leaf tea. This baby was staying put. In the evening I put Elijah bed, and we began to settle down for the eveni

The one with Elijah's heart surgery.

We were back. April 22-28 2015, a year ago this weekend. In just two short weeks since we last went down to London. We had to go down the day before and check in and have another blood test. As all of the forms had been signed last time, we were out again within an hour or so. Back to the same family accommodation, in a different room and with a lot less luggage. Something felt different this time, although I didn't want to believe it was going ahead in the event it was cancelled again, deep down I knew it would be. The morning of the surgery I knew how I would feel as we had been through this all before. I didn't want to go out for a meal so we ate in the hotel room watching ch5 rubbish after Elijah went down in the travel cot. Its odd that through the whole pre admission, cancelled op and the actual operation I can remember what shit we watched on TV and what we ate for tea that night. One of those weird things that just sticks in your head. Sort of like when you rememb